Aishwarya • April 6, 2020
Work from home: The new normal for corporates
With the world battling against the current global pandemic, the number of people working from home increase by the day. The world is rapidly changing the way people work, and people who are used to visiting their office each day are now trying out working from home.
The need for the hour is to protect yourself and others by practicing social distancing and timely personal hygiene.
Most IT companies have already initiated the daily routine of working from home. We need to act as a responsible part of our society and contribute to reducing the risk of being exposed to this potentially fatal virus.
Working from home can have its positives as well as negatives. If you’re thinking, how can an IT company function efficiently working remotely?
At GrandWorks, some in our team was already working remotely before the pandemic, while our main office is situated in a homely villa in Goa, some of us are working from home, or from other parts of the world. For us, our major concern is our employee’s wellbeing and health, and in such a critical condition we have taken all the required measures.
Here are 5 tips to help you be more productive and efficient when working from home. Let’s set up your workspace at home to get the right mood, enabling you to work more efficiently.
- Get a proper system in place: We don’t yet know for how long this situation could last, therefore it’s very important to put a proper system in place for working from home. Develop an everyday routine and don’t fall prey to unproductivity. Avoid sitting in an overly comfortable place like a sofa, couch, or bean bag (it will only make you lazier). Maintain a proper work desk similar to that of your regular office. If you can allot a separate room for work, do so.
- Set an every day to-do list: It’s very important to keep track of all the important tasks that need to be done when working from home. Get used to the routine of making a to-do list before you start working in the morning. Set deadlines, reminders to complete work on time, and avoid any delays. It’s more fun to get things done than building stress around not finishing your work.
- Develop discipline and avoid multitasking: We often get distracted or lose focus. Work on one task at a time, especially when it comes to high priority tasks. It’s very easy to fall into traps of not working when at home and start focussing on doing home chores instead. Therefore it’s very important to develop disciple and a proper system to stay focused during work hours so that you can relax once your workday is over.
- Make yourself at home: Take breaks regularly, spend quality time with family and loved ones. Don’t skip food breaks, this could be an amazing bonding opportunity with your family and loved ones. Stand up and go for a short walk around the apartment every half an hour or so, it will make you more productive and give you the energy you need to keep working.
- Comfort Bonus: Now that you’re working at the comfort of your home, keep some snacks and tasty drinks around you, so that you have something to munch on to get your energy flowing. Play your favorite playlist, and above all, enjoy your time working from home!
At such a critical time globally, it’s necessary that we all do our part i.e stay indoors and avoid any sort of travel. Stay indoor, eat healthily, and be safe!